nowickgray

Educate and Entertain

I like all kinds of books but like any reader, I have my own standards to pick what I call "the best" - i.e., what I like the best. One way to define that further is to call it a combination of style and substance.

Cryptonomicon
Philip Gerard
The Presence
Vickie Schnieders

JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters

JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters - James W. Douglass Tremendous work of scholarship, uncovering much buried treasure on JFK's courageous policymaking toward peace, as well as the convoluted threads of what is now known as an undeniable (though still denied as "unspeakable") CIA conspiracy. Not just the CIA, it turns out, but the whole apparatus of the Cold War "national security" state and military-corporate complex was aligned against Kennedy for his rapprochement with Russia, Cuba, and advocacy of independent states of the Third World. A miracle of diplomacy saved us then from holocaust (in the Cuban Missile Crisis), but the plot to kill him then led to the slower holocaust of Vietnam, and the continuing dominance of those unspeakable forces of power determined still on paths of war and covert dominance.